Michigan bars, restaurants will require diners’ names, phone numbers starting Monday

  • Current Events
  • Michigan bars, restaurants will require diners’ names, phone numbers starting Monday

Diners in Michigan will be required to give their name and phone number to restaurants and bars starting Monday in an effort to contain a recent coronavirus surge, according to reports.

The new rule was put in place by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services on Thursday and also includes limiting indoor gatherings without fixed seating — like in restaurants — to 50 people and individual tables to six people, The Detroit News reported.

The state set a record for new cases Thursday with 3,675, according to TODAY 17 of Grand Rapids.

Restaurants in the state currently operate at 50% capacity and servers are struggling with customers who don’t like the current restrictions, Scott Ellis, executive director of the Michigan Licensed Beverage Association, told TODAY 17. He worked with the state on the restrictions but said his association doesn’t agree with the contract tracing mandate.   

CATHOLIC SCHOOL IN MICHIGAN SUES STATE OVER MASK MANDATE 

“Our frontline servers have already had trouble dealing with masks and mandates and mandating masks,” he said. “We did de-escalation training and all kinds of other things to help with that and now we’re taking to the next level. We have to gather someone’s personal information?”

He added, “I think when you’re going to sit down at a restaurant you just don’t expect someone to take your name and number because you’re coming to have a drink or a burger.”

MASK MANDATES LEAD TO LOWER RATES OF CORONAVIRUS HOSPITALIZATIONS, VANDERBILT RESEARCHERS FIND

Justin Winslow, president and CEO of the Michigan Restaurant and Lodging Association, said in a statement the contract tracing mandate doesn’t match “existing science and data” that shows
minimal transmission” from dining at restaurants: only about 2% of cases the state is investigating, according to Winslow, TODAY 17 reported. 

Establishments could be fined $1,000 for not following the order, according to TODAY 17.

Robert Gordon, director of the Department of Health and Human Services, said the state is taking “targeted action” to areas that are “particularly severe sources of spread.”

“We are issuing guidance that is a very clear road map for what we need to do bring cases down,” he added, according to The Detroit News.

The state said 12 outbreaks have been linked to bars and restaurants in Michigan. 

FRESHEST

Here's the latest news

Earlier this year, Selena opened up about her ex-boyfriends and what it's really like to date celebrities. "If I can be honest, it is so cliché, it's just, everyone dates everyone," the Rare singer told Zane Lowe on Apple Music's Beats 1...

Here's What's Really Going on Between Selena Gomez and Jimmy Butler

December 2, 2020By Jessica JaganathanSINGAPORE (Reuters) – Oil prices extended losses on Wednesday, hit by a surprise build in oil inventories in the United States and as OPEC and its allies left markets in limbo by delaying a formal meeting...

Oil prices drop on U.S. stock build, delay in OPEC+ meeting

Genshin is sure having an impact on MiHoYo’s bottom line. Mobile analytics firm Sensor Tower said today that Genshin Impact has brought in an estimated $393 million in the first two months after its September 28 launch. But the firm...

Sensor Tower: Genshin Impact brings in nearly $400 million in 2 months on mobile

Two of four women charged in a South Florida prostitution sting that also involved New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft have taken plea deals this week, court records show.Lei Wang, 41, and Shen Mingbi, 60, each pleaded guilty in Palm...

Women plead guilty in sex sting involving Patriots owner

I wrote a few months back about how I’m more excited about the RTX 3080 than the Xbox Series X or PlayStation 5. But as we move past the launch of the first RTX 3000 cards, the new consoles, and...

Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti is the best GPU under $500
Load More